Saturday, June 2, 2012

Bagels

Inevitably, the more astute among my readers will mark a difference in profundity betwixt some of my posts. E.g., "Stained Glass" vs. "Funny Fat Dogs." So I'm going to go ahead and clarify here and now that I have no intention of striving for astonishing perspicacity in everything I write. My aim is to draw out the details of gifts from my Father, to better appreciate them in full. Some of those gifts are wonderfully profound and stimulate sincerest reflection. Others, however, are simple, but no less worth reflecting on for that. 

That being said, I thank you, Father, for bagel sandwiches. I thank you for the tang of honey mustard and the spice of pepperjack and the crackling crunch of teeth biting into lightly toasted bread. I thank you for grease on fingers from hot, melted cheese, for sesame seeds stuck in teeth. Bagel sandwiches go beyond the basic nourishment needed to survive... bagel sandwiches are delicious, and easy to make. They are an expression of human creativity and inovation and a love of enjoying and improving things. I thank you, Father, for such an overabundance of food that treats such as these can be enjoyed with guilt-inducing (and belly-enlarging) regularity. 

1 comment: